Saturday, October 3, 2009

ELEVATOR FACES

Elevator faces

My friend Suzie invited me to the Broad opening, the old Los Angeles
Museum of Contemporary Art has been re-vamped by Eli Broad and there were a series of galas and openings. She invited me on a night when our husbands were playing poker and I said,' sure.'
Driving there I asked her if she had seen the Grammy’s and this friend said no but that she loved Amy Winehouse. That she downloaded I tunes which gives you a free tune ever week and that two years ago she had fallen in love with Amy Winehouse’ song, “You Know I’m No Good”.…
Wow, I’m thinking, how cool is she…she’s one of the poker wives, who even though she is a bit younger, I considered older in hipness. Suzie is actually in love with the most radical performer at the whole grammys, so radical they wouldn’t let her back into the country because of her “on screen” heron taking; and the song and album that she won best of everything for and performed live from London, is called “Not Going To Rehab”.
So I’m saying to Suzie that my son Todd has given me a gift of a computer tutor for old people, someone with lots of patience and that first thing next lesson, I was going to ask him how I could download itunes.
Suzie also told me she had just gotten iphone and that she is in a learning curve of how to use it. But that she might be able to play me Amy Winehouse other song she had fallen in love with.
At this point we have arrived and are pulling into the Museum underground parking garage. We see emerging from their cars, various older people in black with sensible shoes and scarves. You know the type. Of course we are dressed the same way and we debate should we take our coats, shouldn’t we take our coats. She didn’t. I did and was sorry Suzie is so hip she wore navy blue instead of black.
So we’re walking from our car and Suzie is playing with her iphone, trying to get me the song. Just as we arrive at the elevator and it goes up leaving 15 of us waiting for the next one, ,Suzie punches up the song and hands it to me to listen to, Well you would have thought I was a black man with a boom box. Everyone is very silent with their elevator faces and I’m listening to this radical blaring with a great beat. Suzie sees the look of controlled horror on everyone’s faces and takes the phone from me and starts punching buttons and the thing won’t go off and shes punching and punching.
I said, Suzie we’re going to laugh about this for years.
The art at the museum and the museum is quite memorable. Lot of Andy Warhol and sculptures you walk thru and mazes and it’s laid out beautifully. Trying to give the impression of the Guggenheim in Bilbo where the museum itself is a work of art. However, the most memorable part for me is waiting for the elevator and listening to Amy Winehouse.

No comments: